Monday, August 19, 2013

Agra, India. Taj Mahal. 28.07.2013

The almighty Taj Mahal


We all have our bucket lists. Mine has never been very full, but there have always been several things on my list for quite some time. I am thankful to now be able to check off the absolute number one.

The Taj Mahal has been my number one for as long as I can remember. From the first photos I saw as a child to repeated images on TV and in film, it has always captivated me. First thing was always the absolute perfectness of it. It is, in my opinion, the most perfect thing every created by man. It is the most perfect piece of architecture ever constructed or conceived of by man. It is perfection. From the details on how the minarets actually lean away from the main structure, not only to keep them visually straight, but just in case there was an earthquake, they will fall away. They had the wherewithal to keep this in mind in 1632!

The color of the marble is enhanced by the alcoves, in which, the shadows created within add depth and texture. The carvings, reliefs and inlays are something you have to see with your own eyes. Photography inside is forbidden, which is a shame. This is where a nice photo book from one of the shops nearby can come in handy. The tombs were also off limits, I'm not sure why. Probably due to threats of terrorism.

the Great Gate, entrance to the Taj Mahal

I could have stayed there all day. If we had the opportunity to be there at a better time of year, I would have. I would have gone first thing in the morning, to get the best light. I would have stayed until sunset to get the effect that would have on the white marble. Unfortunately it was extremely hot and humid and I was soaked before we got in the gate. It was also very overcast, so the photos I wanted to take will have to wait for next time.

Taj Mahal Masjid sits to the left of the main building
Main entrance

roof of the main entrance with inlay of flowers and Arabic calligraphy

Arabic calligraphy inlay by Amanat Khan

looking past one of the minarets to the Yamuna river


Incredible inlay detail everywhere!

Closeup of inlay


Looking past the Yamuna river to the Moonlight Gardens, part of the original plan


Great inlay designs everywhere
Check back for more images and stories of Incredible India!

No comments:

Post a Comment